Tuesday 5 March 2013

12 Life Lessons I learned from a 4 year old


    Mentorship is a personal development relationship. True. I have often described a mentor as someone who is "older and wiser" or who has "been there and done that" and is now guiding someone with less experience. There are many parts to my life that make up my whole. That means I have chosen many mentors or people of inspiration, all of whom have been there ahead of me and have been able to offer me guidance in my journey.  Some are official in their mentoring role, meaning I have sought them out and specifically solicited their guidance. Some are published teachers in their field whose words have resonated with me on one or more levels. While others are just people in my life whom I simply admire. I never dreamed that so many life lessons would be best learnt from a 4 year old.


    One of the great things that I have learned during my own personal journey towards becoming my best me, is that we all come into this physical world already knowing ourselves and being completely comfortable with our individual connection to Source. And then we seem to unlearn it all, while spending time seeking it. Hmmmm....          

    When we are born, teeny tiny in size and lacking in verbal and physical skill, we are in fact not actually "new" as so often we are seen. A soul that has been newly born into human form yes, but that is where the newness ends. Infants arrive with a knowing of the ways in which the Universe works. They have a  pure connection that is so great, that those adults who have been here a while can misunderstand it. I have so often seen a new born and thought them "wise in the eyes", but I didn't at the time understand what I was seeing. 


    This child felt wise because, although we could not communicate with language, I was feeling what that soul was sharing with me. That soul didn't have the human habits of thought that I do. That child was pure in his vibration and was sending focused feelings of love with such clarity that for a moment -  I forgot my own habits. I was so captured by the pure connection that all I did was stare and love in return. That's the kind of connection I am excited to find again within myself. 

    So now, in my journey to rekindle my connection to Source and to align with all parts of me, I am approaching mentorship a wee bit differently. I have discovered the beauty of a 4 year old. A 4 year old to me is a wonderful blend of learned human skill and pure connection to Source. This is some of what I have learnt from hanging out with a 4 year old.
  1. A 4 year old opens doors and asks questions regardless of who is paying attention.
  2. A 4 year old isn't reliving what made him happy or sad yesterday.
  3. A 4 year old isn't worried about what will make him happy or sad tomorrow.
  4. If there is music playing a 4 year old is dancing.
  5. A 4 year old is sensitive to the laughter or the tears of another. 
  6. A 4 year old will always do more of whatever feels good. 
  7. For a 4 year old, its not complicated.
  8. A 4 year old believes in magic and miracles.
  9. A 4 year old knows how to imagine and play all day long.
  10. A 4 year old sees the beauty in their daily discoveries.
  11. What a 4 year old really wants, is being expressed in a very clear and focused manner.
  12. For a 4 year old whats happening now, and how it feels, is the only thing that matters. 


    Children, as "new" and "unknowing" as they seem, really have figured a lot of it out. We come knowing. And as children we haven't had time yet to learn the new behaviours that will grow us up. A child's connection is pure and unaltered by experience. As an adult I have learned so many things that make many behaviours of a 4 year old inappropriate in my day to day. I am not suggesting that we all act as children. But what I am suggesting is that the simplicity of the 4 year old be something we keep close and not bury too deep in our complicated adult worlds.  Spend some time with your 4 year old self and rediscover the connection to Source that was once so pure. Your connection isn't and never will be gone, but it may be hidden under some learned behaviours.  

    Is there a way that you can have it all? Can the adult you and the 4 year old you share your life? What do you think? How do you find the balance? I'd love for you to share your thoughts.


Much Love,
Kate


You can also connect with me at:
www.facebook.com/KateLindsayLifeCoaching
www.twitter.com/GetToTheGood
www.linkedin.com/in/lifecoachkatelindsay



.

12 comments:

  1. A well worded blog post Kate. I really enjoyed reading it. Here is what I learned from my 4 year old son:
    1)My four yr old always pushes and tests boundaries - that's how he learns what is possible today.
    2)My four yr old learns more from example than what is taught - this reminds me to be the best example of me I can be.
    3)My four yr old wants to forgive and be friends again despite any wrongs done to him.
    4)My four yr old delights in the big things and the small things.
    5)My four yr old can learn anything if he's given the time, the guidance, the encouragement and love he deserves.
    6)My four yr old loves and depends on that love to give him security, hope, guidelines, permission to be himself and to grow into the best version of himself he can be.
    7)My four yr old laughs - everyday.
    8)My four yr old remembers yesterday's sadness but is always optimistic about tomorrow.
    9)My four yr old loves the company of other 4 yr olds - communion with your peers beats a new toy everytime.
    10)My four yr old never stops to surprise me - this reminds me that I do not know everything and I should not assume too much about the wonderous thing that is my son.

    Much love, Kyoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful. Its a long list of things that we can learn from them. Its important to remember that we don't know it all you're right. We have forgotten so many things and its such a lovely blessing to be reminded by a child.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to your next blog post. Thanks for brightening my day Kate!

    Kyoko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate,
    BEAUTIFUL Post! This touched me in so many ways. I especially like #2 because so many people keep reliving their past #4 because I love to dance :) and #'s 11 & 12 focusing and being in the now. Children teach us so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate, Great lessons from a 4 year old! Wow! If we just take time out in our life to absorb them. Have a great day!!
    Dayna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have grown into a society that puts SO much emphasis on being busy adults. Remembering to take the time for the simple things is tough and important for me too.

      Thanks Dayna

      Delete
  5. Kate, I loved this post and it SO reminded me of the how much I miss spending time with my four year old (now twenty-two). Your description is SPOT ON of how I remember my son at that age. THANK YOU for sharing this today; now have to go give my son a call...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, this is wonderful. I have a 3 1/2 year old grandson, I was telling my husband this morning that we adults could sure learn a lot from kids. I love the example of how a 4year old thinks, I can see my grandson in so many of them.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ladies for your words. It makes me feel wonderful to know that you have seen the same traits in the kids in your lives. Kids may be small in size but they really do have a lot to share.

      Delete
  7. Great article, as I mentioned on reddit. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for both the compliment and the mention Patrick.

      Delete