Monday 8 April 2013

Asking for Help can be Tough to Master and It's Worth It.

For 10 years I managed in busy restaurants. In those years I hired countless staff, many of whom where young adults.  As a part of each new hire training I had a few personal "go to" speeches that I shared. I was relating my 'oh so wise' life lessons to a busy night in the restaurant. Its been years since I was the manager on duty, but I am still sharing these words. Maybe I had something more than I realized at the time. In fact, this same topic of personal strength and capabilities veers its well meaning yet miss-guided head, in many coaching sessions.

When I hired into the restaurant staff I would always, always, always make sure that every staff member knew that they were now a part of our team.  They were not only encouraged but expected to ask for help. That's a toughy in the restaurant business where servers have often had an unspoken competition among themselves.  But that didn't fly here. If they were going to be successful in this busy restaurant they were expected to ask for help when they needed it, and they were expected to give help whenever they could. That's how we rolled.  And we rolled through big business.   

My speech was always my opinion about personal strength and about respect for the team.

"The person who asks for help when they need it, is a much stronger person than one who knows they need it, but lets the ship go down waiting for me to notice. Because once that ship goes down we all have to work  much harder to get it back on course. Let's have a smooth night where we all work together" ~me

I would hear myself saying that but it was tough to swallow myself. I believed it. For them. We had demonstrated that it worked. And yet I was still wanting to do it all myself wherever I could.

I have grown up believing that I was the one who would get it done. In school, in any job I have ever had, I was the "Go-to". I became a master  multi-tasker.  I identified with that title in such a strong way, that I felt that any thing that need doing should be on my list. I worked long hard hours in order to get it all done. A big part of managing is learning to delegate, I know that and I can do that. But delegating and asking for help is not the same thing. And I admit that I find it difficult to ask for help. I have been giving my new hire speech to others for   y-e-a-r-s and it has taken me just as long to know that what I ask of other people is something that I can ask of myself.   

The universe holds an abundance of options. And more than one of them can feel good to me, but that doesn't mean I need to master them all.  To be needed is a feeling I have been more than comfortable with for years. I have based a lot of my own self worth on being needed by others.  Playing to my strengths is what I do. It feels good. So why was I not sharing this wonderful feeling with those around me? Who was I to deny them opportunity to play to their strengths?  Why was I keeping myself  imprisoned in the "busy" and sending out inferiority vibes to my loved ones and co-workers? That was a no one win situation. And clearly and logically I knew that if I could shift the balance and we could all be winning?


It took me some time and some real conscious effort but I no longer feel inferior (I was sending out the inferiority vibe because that's what I was feeling.) and I have learned to ask for help. I still am one to do many things and that's cool with me. That's who I am and I like me. I have learned to let others enjoy being needed and that has really deepened a few good relationships. Not only that, but this lesson has also brought with it a great sense of freedom. I no longer feel too busy to breathe and say 'thank you for today'. 'Thank you for your help'. I am the stronger person who is keeping the ship a float by using my team. I am demonstrating that it works in my life and not just in the restaurant.  I expected it of others years ago, and it feels wonderful to expect it of myself now too.  I can't help but hope that some of the young adults whom I hired and who heard the speech really heard it. I would love it if they were applying it to their lives outside of the restaurant and feeling some freedom. There is great freedom in not having to be it all in order to be wonderfully you. 

Are you overly helpful?  Are you able to let others be helpful to you? Is asking for help something that you are comfortable with or do you see it as a sign of weakness? Is it possible that we sometimes keep ourselves so busy helping others, not just because giving is good, but because we can hide there and avoid ourselves?
I'd love to hear what you think.

Comments are not only welcomed but encouraged.
or connect with me on Facebook www.facebook.com/KateLindsayLifeCoaching or 
Twitter http://twitter.com/GetToTheGood

Much love
Kate

10 comments:

  1. I have come here from my blog and your comment and read your words- amazing

    yes asking for help not only makes us stronger it makes us happier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is such a release. Who knew ?!?!?? I do now. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you have recognized the joy in letting others help. I do agree delegating and asking for help are different. Sometimes asking for help feels way to vulnerable. We have to admit to ourselves and others we can't. Yet really we are designed to rely on each other. We all have our own strengths. Together Everyone Achieves More or TEAM for short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about asking bringing on a feeling of vulnerability. I think that that is exactly why we don't ask.

      Delete
  3. I love to help others... And I finally learned the art of allowing others to help me... I even dare ask for help now! It's still difficult for me to do - but I do it! Love your post today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mel Ann. I won't say that I have mastered it yet myself but I have recognized how great it feels to help and to allow others to feel great by helping me. I am becoming more comfortable but its still an "in progress" things= for me too.

      Delete
  4. Asking for help IS really difficult, I think especially for women. I can delegate, but, ASKING instead of TELLING someone to do something is a completely different mindset. Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asking and Delegating are so very different. I realize that I used to delegate in the form of a question sometimes, but it really wasn't a question, and my staff knew it so I don't count it.

      I also think that you are right about it being tough for women, we don't want to be seen as 'weaker' though I think men struggle too. Though their struggle may come from a slightly different belief about themselves .

      Thanks for the conversation

      Delete
  5. Great post Kate, I am getting better at asking for help but I have to say ..it doesn't come easy at all! I need to work at it because i know it is the source of a lot of our frustrations that could be avoided SO easily. I discovered recently that not asking for help is a big sign of playing the martyr...and that is not the way to head for successs at all...so...thank you for the great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nathalie. I must say that it does feel good to know that I am not the alone in my quest. We are figuring it out and feeling the relief. High 5!

      Delete