Tuesday 16 April 2013

When Goals Aren't Enough, What More is There?

"Pay your dues." "Put in your time." "Earn your moment." All things people said to me to keep me motivated and moving on up. And it worked. I kept doing what I didn't necessarily want to do, but what I thought was going to get me to where I wanted to be. It's what I had been taught. 


In order to get to what you DO want to do, 
you first have to spend some time doing what you don't want to do. 

But is that really the way to get to where you want to go? 

I paid my dues, I put in time and yes I did earn my moment. And you know what I discovered to be the real truth? I had no interest in actually being there. Now what?!

I was sitting in the board room with the others who were being considered for the same big promotion, when I realized that almost any of them would be better suited for the job. Not because I wasn't qualified to be there, because I was. But because I didn't care the way they did. I knew that I should be honored to be considered, but the thought of being the one who was given the big job frightened me. The idea of taking the position was not an exciting leap forward into what I had wanted and worked hard for. It felt more like a prison sentence was that was looming. I was being sentenced to stay right where I was. Yikes! 

I had put in so many hours over so many years and had sacrificed so much in the name of doing a good job. I was more than a bit surprised when it all hit me. I had been so focused on the task at hand that I had lost sight of the ultimate goal, My Happy Life.

I, of course, would have loved to have found my path years ago. But I know that being there and having those experiences with those mostly wonderful people, is part of what has made me the women I am today. And I like her, so its OK. 

But what I DO wish, is that I had known that 

You don't have to go where you don't want to be to get where you want to be. 
You can go from where you are to where you want to be. ~ Abraham


HUH?? How do you propose that??

You do it by setting the right intention.

You see my goal was for the big job and that was clear. While my intention for a happy life was not clear.  I hadn't then taken the time to get clear about what I wanted in my life or how I wanted it to feel. I had a job and I was moving forward because that's what you're supposed to do. It wasn't until I started to explore my intention and find some clarity that I realized that the job that I was in, and working to stay in, was not in line with what I ultimately intended for my life.

Try seeing your intention as a compass or a lighthouse that will be there along the way to always point in the direction of your ultimate desires. Having that intention allows you to keep moving toward your ultimate goal (A Happy Life) and feeling good about your path, while allowing for your immediate goals (the big job) change along the way as new discoveries are made.

I had had my head down in work. When I looked up and began to focus on the intention for my life, I realized I had inadvertently wandered way of track and gotten lost in the woods. By focusing on the true intention I had for me I was able to change the immediate goals while feeling good about moving forward in my life and not just in my job.

It is taking some time to get the details right and I know it's never going to be exactly done. I have moved out of the country and back. I have been through a big break up and found love again. I have spent a year and a half building trucks in an auto plant. There certainly have been some ups and downs but each has always been moving me forward in line with my intention for a Happy Life. I can get to where I want to be and I can go from here.

Have you set an intention or only a goal? I would love to hear what you have going on.
I invite you to share with me here or on facebook www.facebook.com/KateLindsayLifeCoaching

No comments:

Post a Comment