Monday 3 June 2013

I Don't Need it, But I Totally WANT it.

My Dad has grown the sweet tooth in the family. Which is crazy because there is a certain someone in the family who, as a child, would eat only the sweet center of the Oreo and feed the cookie part to the dog. Dad has always had a specific weak spot for a quality ice cream sundae. Hot fudge with nuts as it is served at McDonald's totally counts. I can still hear him asking my Mom if she wanted an ice cream too. The conversation ALWAYS went like this:

Dad: "Do you want an ice cream?"
Mom: " I don't really need one."
Dad: "Nobody asked you if you needed one. Do you WANT one?"

My Dad is a smart guy. He has always known the answer or where to find the answer. At lease that is how he is seen by his children. But unknowingly, my Dad has been an LOA (Law of Attraction) Master for many many years.  His philosophy of need vs want, as he applies it to ice cream is brilliant.

There is a huge difference between needing something and wanting it. Though both are looking towards the same end result, in this case a hot fudge sundae with nuts, each approach is built on a very different foundation.

Its a good idea to, as often as you can, try to approach your list of things to acquire, do, or experience from the place of wanting rather than of needing. 

When we acknowledge a desire of any kind it is impossible to not notice the current lack of it in our lives. Needing something comes from a place of lack and one's awareness of being without. It creates a yearning because not having it is an unhappy and often stressful feeling. Wanting something, though also noticing the lack of its presence, focuses on the joy that would be rather than the pain that is. Wanting something can have a nice, light almost playful ease about it which will allow your energy to remain open. And staying open to receiving rather getting swooped up in the logistic of making anything come to you is key.

Say out loud, "I want a vacation."   And now say "I need a vacation."  Do you feel the difference?

A list of wants or desires can be fun to create. I don't need a bunch of new clothes, but I can want them.  I don't need a new car, but I can want one. I don't need a giant check to be delivered to my door but I want one. Nothing on that list is defining my survival, but everything on that list holds the possibility of great joy being found in the having of it.




Ice cream, along with many other things, totally makes my list of wants. I invite you to look at your list of wants and of needs. Are there things on your "need" list that really belong on your "want" list?

No comments:

Post a Comment