Tuesday 17 September 2013

Your Good Stuff is There, Hiding in The Details


I am not sure if its the modesty of the Canadian or the young girl part of me that feeds that quiet and wistful feeling that I used to get while watching others (to be real, sometimes I still do get that "I wish I had ____", but in the last few years I have really begun to truly love my life so I wish to be someone else a whole lot less often these days). Or if it is because I am like so many in my generation who are simply afraid of so many things that we aren't as quick to be our real selves as we would like to be. 

This generation seems to be afraid of almost everything. And not in an "afraid of the dark" sort of way but more of a "damned if I do damned if I don't" sort of way. We are afraid of failure and also of success. Afraid of being alone and of being in a relationship. Afraid of staying in one place and of change. Afraid to try, and afraid of not doing. Afraid of blending in yet afraid of standing out. Without being grounded in any way, or sure of where you are right now, moving forward feels like the shaky steps of a child. Shaky to stand still and shaky to step forward. Tough one. 

Too afraid to talk about it (afraid to be the only one who doesn't have it all figured out and equally afraid to be a part of a whole generation that doesn't have it all figured out) many of us find ourselves "faking it".  And where does that take us....????  To a place where we are afraid that someone might find out that our confidence is more smoke and mirrors than anything else. That we aren't who they think that we are.  And so we continue to be actors in the Play that is our lives. 

So now that you're here, acting in this leading role, how do you find that piece of your character that is real??  I say, start small. There is no reason to let this feel so big and over powering. Small is where it is at.  The magic and the miracles are hiding in plain sight. You will find them in the details. You just have to take a moment to look and you will find them. I promise. (There are not many things that I will promise to an open audience but I promise, that if you look in the details, you will find at least 1 something awesome hiding right there is plain sight) 

Your starting place....???  Keep that part simple too. Start with what you take for granted. 

Here is one of those email poems that has maybe made its way to your inbox too. I don't always even open these types of notes, but this time, do yourself a favour and read it to the end. 


Today, upon a bus, I saw a very beautiful woman and wished I were as beautiful.
When suddenly she rose to  leave, I saw her hobble down the aisle.
She had one leg and used a  crutch. But as she passed, she passed a smile.
Please forgive me  when I whine. I have two legs; the world is mine.

I stopped to  buy some candy. The lad who sold it had such charm.
I talked with  him, he seemed so glad. If I were late, it'd do no harm.
And as I  left, he said to me, "I thank you, you've been so kind.
It's nice  to talk with folks like you. You see," he said, "I'm blind."
Please  forgive me when I whine. I have two eyes; the world is  mine.

Later while walking down the street, I saw a child I  knew.
He stood and watched the others play, but he did not know  what to do.
I stopped a moment and then I said, "Why don't you join  them, Dear?"
He looked ahead without a word. I forgot, he couldn't  hear.
Please forgive me when I whine. I have two ears; the world is  mine.

With feet to take me where I'd go. With eyes to see the  sunset's glow.
With ears to hear what I'd  know.
Oh, God, forgive me when I whine. I've been blessed indeed, the world is mine.


Could you see yourself as the poet on the bus, buying candy or talking to the child, taking your blessings for granted??  It's not uncommon for many of us to look at someone else and wish we had what they have, when really we have no idea what package we just wished for. Often it's because we only see the part of that actor's Play that they allow us to see. Likewise, I am sure that though perhaps unbeknownst to you, there are people out there who have wished to be you.

To me that doesn't feel like a very productive use of anyone's creative and magnetic energies. 


Instead I invite you to look at what is filling your glass even if it's just to half full. What is it that you have got going on that rocks?? What do you have figured out for real??  What do you take for granted??  Start there. Say a Thank You for it. Because there is someone out there wishing that they had that very thing. 


You really have been blessed with things worthy of your attention. And by giving your attention to those good things your life begins to fill with more and more things that feel as good. That part isn't magic, its the way the Universal Laws work. And because Fear and Love live in the same space within us each, if you are filling that space with love, there is no room for fear. That my friend, is when you will find yourself no longer acting but confidently living as the real you, and making real and meaningful wishes.


Your turn.

Do you sometimes catch yourself looking at someone else and wishing to trade them spaces??  

When you look at your details, what is 1 blessing that you can find that is worthy of your attention??

I'd love to hear what you think. Maybe it's your comment that will be what inspires another to look at their own details. Use the comments section below or come join us over on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment